FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Holiday Puppies!

This is going to be pretty repetitive for most of you, but for others...I thought you would enjoy this little story.

Right before Christmas, my sister picked up a stray dog on the side of the road and decided that my parents could use one more dog. So, in addition to Shelby, Abby & Libby...they took in Roxy. We were suspicious of her being pregnant seeing that her "bathing suit" parts were looking a bit larger than normal, but we had no idea. It was our first choice to take her to the pound, but we weren't sure if they would put her down to prevent having to take care of puppies...so we kept her.

Needless to say, I got a phone call from my dad one night asking me to come over and help my mom deliver Roxy's puppies. Now, if you know me at all, you know I love my animals and jumped at the opportunity to help. Little did I know, this would be the most national geographic event I would ever experience. Keep in mind that I have no children, I've never experienced a live birth (unless TLC's A Baby Story counts...), and the only time I've dealt with blood was at the hotel in which I 'delegated' to the houseman...so...

I get to the house and find out that Roxy has already had her first puppy! I know!! So exciting!! She was upstairs in our bathroom which is fairly small.  After about an hour of her cleaning off the first puppy, she started pushing again and took it upon herself to walk around the bathroom in the midst of her water breaking. I tried to keep quiet because my mom was asleep but couldn't help repeating "OH MY GOSH...OH MY GOSH!!!!" I had no idea what to do except hold a towel under her you-know-what and catch the puppy before it fell on the ground! It took me a while to figure out what a contraction was in doggy-labor considering my imagination had convinced me that she would be howling for an epidural by the second puppy...thank goodness for Google, right?!

Now, I don't know what I expected these things to look like when they came out, but an alien was not on the list. They are born in this disgusting film-sack that the mother instinctivly 'takes care of' (bless her heart!). So, I guess after the water breaks, puppies naturally just keep popping out...for three more hours! Finally, around 2:00am the next morning Roxy delivered her last puppy. One of the puppies was having a hard time breathing but, thankfully, I watched 101 Dalmations when I was younger and remembered that you're supposed to put them in a towel and rub them until they breathe!! Who would have thought that a Disney movie would save a puppies life :)
Watching their insticts in action was amazing! Roxy constantly licked the puppies while they knew exactly where their food was! She had five puppies that night and I automatically thought that naming them after the holiday they were born on was perfect...Doctor, Martin, Luther, King & Junior had entered the world!!!!


1 comment:

Heather said...

I love this post and I LOVE what you named them!! Ha! That was really clever :)

And they are so, so cute. Look at those little faces!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a 20-something young woman growing up and experiencing the things my mother warned me about...love, friendship, hard work, disappointment and success.